Saturday, January 11, 2014

Guangzhou, The Five-Goat City

My first trip to China, and it's Guangzhou. Guangzhou, known historically as Canton, with a current estimated population of 14 million, is the third largest city in China. It is famous throughout China and the world for its cuisine and foreign trade.


Travelling around Guangzhou is pretty convenient, as it has quite an extensive network of subway. You can get to most of the tourist attractions easily via subway, however, the drawback is that you might need to walk a little distance to get to the destination. Travelling via bus would get you nearer to the destination, hence less walking required.


As for me, I prefer to take the subway, and don't mind the walking, hence have chosen to take the subway instead. A map and a Yang Cheng Tong (羊城通) - that's how I explored this city of China on my own. Yang Cheng Tong is Guangzhou Transportation Smart Card, like the MetroCard in New York City, Octopus Card in Hong Kong or simply put it, the Touch N' Go Card in Malaysia.

This trip to Guangzhou has in fact changed my perspective towards China to some extent. Some of us might have heard about those horror stories about people in China who do not close the door when they pee or poo in public toilet. What I would like to clarify here is that this is not the case, at least in Guangzhou City. Well, I could not vouch for other parts of China as I have not been there, but those public toilets in Guangzhou are considered clean. And it's free of charge.


If you wish to visit Guangzhou, perhaps here are some links to get you started, and of course, check out my posts on the few places that I have visited ...

1.  Guangzhou Metro, i.e. Guangzhou Subway

Also, not all shops accept Visa, MasterCard and American Express - they only accept UnionPay, hence if you are planning to shop or dine in those locally owned outlets, perhaps you would want to bring extra cash, just in case. But, of course, places like Starbucks do accept Visa and MasterCard :)

No comments:

Post a Comment